Chirstmas Means

There are so many of us who are seeking the meaning of Chirstmas and so many more who feel anxiety and almost horror around it.  Some of us celebrate it by eating and having a quiet time together and some of us are more festive and dance and sing.  While Christmas is a sparkling holiday it is more meaningful than that.  The sparkle is only the visual part of it and don't get me wrong I love the sparkle.  In fact I have a tree with white lights and white branches in the family room and a silver plated santa in the window holding two tea lights.  Then there are cut mosaic mirrored Christmas trees on the cocktail table.  I even hung ornanaments on the pull strings of the while wood blinds in a beautiful shimmery green.  On Christmas Eve I will host my family over and we will all sit around the table eating and then playing a game of Taboo.  In the past we bought gifts but this year we all decided that this was not going to be the case and that instead we would donate to a charity.  The only ones that will get gifts are the children and there are only two: my grandchildren 13 years old and 5.  But above it all is what Christmas means that matters.  The  meaning of Chirstmas is different for each of us but to me this is what Christmas means:

The Birth of Christ:

For me this is the most important meaning of the holiday of Chirstmas.  Chirst our savior was born and with that birth came to bring love and light to the world.  He would be the entity in our world that would sacrafice and suffer for the sins of all of us.  God was born to complete us and to make us each whole.  His birth is the main celebration.

Family:

Christmas means family and all the wonderful food and merriment that we share with our family and also those who might not have a place to go.  We have at least one person like that in our family.  We have lots of foood and music playing while we chat about every single memoory imaginable.  This year I would like to share some game playing, maybe charades and Taboo.  We will again sing somem songs together while my brother plays his guitar.  His son plays the sax and we hope he will play some music or the both of them will play something for us.  In my opinion Christmas is all about family and nothing could be more important.  I am proud to say that our family gets together and see each other more often than one time a year.

Giving:

To me this is a time to give to those less fortunate than us.  My wish is that every family use the money they would spend on gifts and donate it to a family in need.  Most locations have an organization that will locate needy families for your family to adopt on Chirstmas.  These are usually places like park districts that collect gifts for needy kids or churches who collect them.  In any case it is easy to give and ensure that families that have a lot less than us receive a little joy during the season in the form of food or gifts or both.  This year I am going to take my donation to the homeless shelter close by.  I cannot emphasize more how important it is to give to others during this season if you have the means to give.

Sparkle:

There is nothing wrong with decorating for the holidays and I for one love the sparkle as I stated before.  I like white lights and ornaments and all that says Chirstmas.  I am more of a minimilist when it comes to decorating and I love to match the ornaments and decorations with my home.  I keep most of it nuetral like silver and this year a touch of blue in the ornaments because the walls in the main area are aqua blue.  I lay lights on the sills of the windows in rooms instead of taping or trimming the window with them.  I also throw some lights around the edge of the deck outside that one can see through the sliding doors.  I find it a fun activity to trim the tree with my grandchildren whenever possible and long ago with my daughters.  Creating the sparkle with others in the family make it even more fun and gets one in the spirit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Seasoned Vs Old Person

Visualize It, Manifest It.

Your Skirt Is Over Your Head