Happiness

I wish there was a formula for having a good day but one you could just drink and  suddenly feel awesome, resulting in having the best day of your life everyday.  But alas there isn't a pill we could take to make us happy.  I even noticed on Fandango there is a movie out called "Hector and The Pursuit of Happiness.  It is like the hollywood world knows we are seeking joy all the time, yet there is no such thing as being happy all the time and we all know it.  To our dismay there are always going to be some sad days and some days when we just think "What a shitty day!".  The up side is that we usually have tomorrow and we think that tomorrow will be a better, happier and more joyful experience.  Unfortunately there is not warranty on happiness and no guarantee either way, so it's best that we find our joy here and now, working at it so that we can feel it now rather than later by doing things that may bring us some sunshine.

Today my strategy is taking myself out to see a movie about a half hour away in South Barrington because it's not showing closer to me in Elgin, Algonquin or Carpentersville, but I am willing to drive more for my little peice of joy.  Taking myself to a movie is one of the ways I find my happiness among others, like taking me to dinner.  This kind of immediate gratification is temporary I admit but  beats sitting around feeling sorry for ourselves.  It beats sitting down for hours watching a TV screen or laying in bed till after noon.  I say pick your ass up and take yourself out.  Do something, anything to gratify yourself and to take the focus off of the darkness and buy yourself a little happiness.  I joke with people and tell them to go buy a new pair of undies or new funky socks.  Whatever it takes.  However it works.  That is what I say.

Some years back I had a therapist who said that I would be much happier in a warmer climate like Florida.  At that time I use to tell evereyone who'd listen that "I hate winter" and as a result I would be semi-miserable all winter long.  One year I decided that I would not voice that opinion of winter to anyone and that I would simply suck it up.  I would put on my long fur coat, a skull cap, a really big thick scarf and a pair of hearty gloves.  I would not let the weather dictate what I did or where I'd go. I would just put my winter gear on and head for the hills wherever that was: a movie, dinner, shopping or a doctor's appointment.  It was then that my alleged hate for winter weather ended and quite honestly on a trip to Mexico and to Florida in April I realized that the extreme hot weather did not make me smile any more than the winters in Chicago.  Now I look out the window at the snow and enjoy the way it looks so beautiful and white and soft.  Now I see winter from a very different lense.

Whatever it is that you think will bring happiness into your life give it a try.  Decide on a few things you will do to change from unhappy to happy, from empty to full.  Take the time to go to a movie if that is what it takes.  Try different things and don't limit yourself as long as you are doing things that are pure of heart and good for your soul.  Jump rope, go sledding with the kids, take a five day vacation to Cancun.  Make your own happiness and watch yourself rise above the darkness.  Then thank yourself for doing so.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Seasoned Vs Old Person

Visualize It, Manifest It.

Your Skirt Is Over Your Head