Obsessed

I was listening to the song by Mariah Carey "Obsessed".  The lyrics say things like "why you so obsessed with me?" and "you're delusional".  I listen to this song and recall how obsessed I have been with either a relationship or something else, like perfectionism.  I joke about it but the truth is that I am just like everyone else, obsessed with something.  It is like if I am not obsessing then I am not normal or feel alive.  The truth is that obsessions are not aligned with my joy, our joy.  I obsess about what I will be serving for Christmas Eve dinner.  I obsess about what me and the grandkids will be doing while they are on vacation from school and staying with me.  I obsess about the kitchen floor and the crumbs being swept up as soon as possible.  I obsess about my health and where I will end up physically.  There are so many things to obsess about that it is kind of not so funny.  I don't think I am alone in my obsessions.  I think that it has become an obsession to be obsessed with something.  It's become a world obsession.

Obsessing does not make things any better.  I think that obsessing actually makes things worse or serve to get things to go from bad to worse.  Yet we obsess thinking that this will make things happen when we want them to and that if we are not thinking about it that things will turn out poorly.  It is actually the opposite.What over emphasizing does is make us mentally exhausted and changes nothing.

On the other hand I have this idea that being obsessed about something could result in something big.  I imagine that men like Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein were obsessed with fashion and perhaps with all things related like fabrics.  I imagine that Maya Anglou thought a lot about poetry and words and Oprah perhaps obsessed with being a talk show host and an owner of a network of her own.  Perhaps this kind of obsession isn't a bad thing.  This kind of focus may very well be the reason for the success of many like Deepak and Marianne Williamson, spiritual leaders and authors.  It could have been the obsession to be a good grandmother that made mine so wonderful.  I remember her wanting so much to please us and to make food and desserts that we loved.  She would ask us what we thought of her cake and she delighted in our approval and requests for fresh tortillas or a pound cake.  And so it may be that we can be obsessed with good things that bring us and others joy and satisfaction.

There is so much to be said about focusing on one single thing to the degree that it could be harmful and on the other hand to the degree that it would reward us.  When we think of obsessing we think it to be something bad but this is not always the case.  A man who obsesses about a woman might end up married to her or may end up getting arrested because she does not feel the same as he does or she is a stranger who he is obsessed with that is not available to him and she isn't interested in him.

As we wonder about obsessions we must understand that in life and love there will be times when we get lost in our desires to the degree where we might become something bigger and better or become sad people who wonder where our life went and what we wasted it on.  Either way looking at ourselves more closely and what we desire more clearly will help us to know ourselves better and either fly above the clouds or get caught in the dark clouds.  One or the other.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Seasoned Vs Old Person

Visualize It, Manifest It.

Your Skirt Is Over Your Head